Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners and the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Russia supported by Maritime Arbitration Commission invite you to attend the “International Conference on Risks in Maritime Insurance: Best Practices, Russian and International Experiences”, which is to be held on February 28, 2020 from 10 am (welcome coffee starting from 9:30 am) until 3 pm at Marriott Grand Hotel (Grand Ballroom) at 26/1 Tverskaya street, Moscow (map).
Claims settlement, investigation of insured events and dispute resolution in maritime insurance are high-risk matters for both the insurers and ship owners. The world practice has developed instruments to reduce uncertainty and to fight against bad faith approaches, including those which significantly cut the compensation amount down to the limits set, rather than match the calculated (often astronomical) amount of losses. One of those instruments, Protocol of 2002 to the Athens Convention, started to apply in Russia in 2019.
How to apply new instruments, what are the case law trends in marine insurance and how to structure claims handling in loss settlements? What mechanisms would help to investigate an insured event and which law should be applied to complex maritime accidents? How to enforce an English judgment in an insurance dispute and to protect oneself from cybercrime at sea? International maritime insurance experts, attorneys, representatives of English P&I Clubs, insurance companies, and ship owners are to address these matters and more.
The event is open to representatives from large companies - shipowners, ports, shipbuilding and insurance companies.
TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION*:
- Protocol of 2002 to the Athens Convention in action: new limits of carrier’s liability and their correlation with other international instruments
- Maritime Arbitration Commission at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Russia: case law trends as related to maritime insurance
- Maritime risk reinsurance: Russian market trends and needs
- Practical tips for handling marine claims - case studies on marine insurance claims
- Investigation of an insured event: trusted instruments and recommended practices
- Enforcement of foreign judgments in insurance disputes in Russia
- Cybercrime at sea – is there an insurance product?
Moderators - Alexey KOSTIN, President of the Maritime Arbitration Commission at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Russia and Valery EREMENKO, Partner, Co-Head of Litigation Practice at Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners.
GUEST OF HONOR:
- Natalia PAVLOVA, Russian Supreme Court Judge
- Dmitry DAVYDENKO, arbitrator of the Maritime Arbitration Commission at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Russia
- Valery EREMENKO, Partner, Co-Head of Litigation Practice at Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners
- Rosie GONCARE, Senior Associate, Hill Dickinson
- Patrick HAWKINS, Partner, Hill Dickinson
- Prof. Norman A. Martinez GUTIERREZ, international maritime law consultant, arbitrator, member of IMO’s Roster of Experts, author of Limitation of Liability in International Maritime Conventions (Routledge, London / New York, 2011)
- Alexey KARCHIOMOV, speaker at the Maritime Arbitration Commission at the Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Counsel, Head of Maritime Shipping / Transport Law Practice at Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners
- Natalya KRIVOSHEY, chief underwriter of marine reinsurance, Russian National Reinsurance Company
- Lev VASILIEVYKH, Senior Associate at Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners
Simultaneous interpretation will be organised at the conference.
Attendance is free of charge.
Seating is limited, no more than 2 representatives from a company.
Contacts: Alina Zoreva and Yulia Kozlova at email@example.com and +7 (812) 322 96 81.
* The agenda and speakers are subject to changes.
** The conference is closed to law and consulting firms, private lawyers and attorneys. The organizers reserve the right to deny attendance.