Daria advises Russian and foreign companies on issues regarding protecting, obtaining, and registering intellectual property rights, including trademarks and other industrial property, and on the strategic management of intellectual property portfolios. She is a recognized expert in copyright law, particularly in the fields of architecture and construction.
Daria also has significant experience of conducting due diligence and providing legal assistance for transactions involving the sale and purchase of intellectual property and companies that hold IP rights, technology transfer transactions, and drafting and concluding licensing and franchising agreements. She has a long track record of helping clients to protect commercial secrets, defend their business reputations, and curtail unfair competition.
Daria also represents clients’ interests in court disputes and in pre-trial conflict resolution.
Daria’s previous achievements include:
- Advising a major Russian company in a dispute with a foreign architectural firm regarding changes to the original architectural concept for a building while planning documentation was being drafted.
- Representing a foreign public company in a matter concerning obtaining, from a Russian company with priority, the rights to a trademark partially corresponding to its business brand. When no reasonable agreement was reached on the cost of the transaction, the client initiated litigation, during which an amicable settlement was reached on the terms originally proposed by the client.
- Representing a large manufacturer of building materials in a patent dispute in which the client was accused by a competitor of violating his rights to the patent by manufacturing one of their main products. The dispute was resolved out of court when the accusing party was convinced that no violation had occurred.
- Compiling an inventory of non-material assets for a manufacturing company in Russia and providing legal assistance in a deal to sell the company’s business.
- Advising a major foreign manufacturer on technology transfer issues arising during the relocation of production to Russia.
Prior to joining the Firm, Daria Sergeeva served as counsel at the international law firm Borenius. Before that, she worked at Gazprom Neft, JetBrains, and the law firm Mannheimer Swartling, and led the legal department of a major Russian hospitality group.
The international ranking Best Lawyers recognises Daria as a “Lawyer of the Year” in Telecommunications and Technologies as well as recommendes her for intellectual property.
Daria graduated with honours from St. Petersburg State University, School of Law. She is fluent in English.